Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Only through the power of goodness

I've had a very dramatic past couple of weeks--some of the drama happening to me, or those very close to me. Where to start... (Yeah, I have homework to do, but alas... really don't feel like it!)
  • I ran out of checks in my checkbook, and couldn't find the fillers ANYWHERE. And I really needed them for bills and tithing and such. And I looked EVERYWHERE. I calmed down and just silently prayed and it just popped in my head--check the jacket closet in the hallway--and I did and it was there!
  • There was a power outage. I was having kind of a tough day--not really tough for any reason, but just feeling the weight of the world all the same. I got home, thinking that my roommate had resigned the electricity bill in her name, and found out by pitch blackness of my home (very indicative!) that Alan the TPM manager must not have gotten a hold of her. Good times. I was freaking cold that night, even with five blankets on top of me, and just bawled my eyes out. Haven't felt that much anguish or that out of control in such a long time. Probably not since my mission or freshman year. You can't move but you can't sit still... At least Shawn had brought me over matches so I could read by candle light to settle down and go to sleep. THAT was a rough night.
  • The next day my Dad had E-mailed me--apparently he had sent me a package of lotions and stuff from a lady he knew from Port Alberni growing up. He asked me how I was and I had mentioned how things had been a bit rough for the past few days. About an hour later, he calls me up, and then later my SISTER calls me up and also tells me to talk to Mom. I ended up skipping Biology to talk to my sister, and we just talked for over an hour about everything--systematically going through all my problems and issues and worries and anxieties and at the end I felt so light and so much better. We're so similar in a lot of ways, and by the end of it, it was just a relief to know there are people out there with not necessarily the same problems but at least the same attitude as me. So yeah felt so much better about all the facets of my life. Thanks Shtashe!
  • When I called my mom next (who also had recently sent me a package of clay and goodies! a week or two before) apparently my brother Gabe and my Dad are going to go on a roadtrip to Mount Rushmore for my Dad's work--weeklong and my brother is planning ALL of it out! I suggested to him (on Sunday) that he should do a detour on the way back through Utah (So Shawn and Rachel can meet my Gabe and my Dad and plus I like them both myself!) but he's like "um... I'll think about it" She was so tickled about it, as was I. I don't think my Dad's patience will last that long, as patient as he really is.
  • My dad bought a guitar that's made from the parts of other guitars. He's SOOOOO excited about it. And he doesn't get excited about things. Kind of like Shawn in that regard.
  • I've started writing letters again to people on my mission! I got big time chewed out by my last companion I served with for not doing better, so I've made a goal for a letter a day on average, and so far I've been doing really well! I think I'm only a letter behind for the past two weeks.
  • I've also started to get up early to read scriptures, having struggled to find time during the day to do it for my New Testament class. It makes such a difference! I'm always on time or early for work now, which hasn't happened for a month or two. And that's not the only difference it makes! :)
  • I've cracked down on that dress for Sian's wedding. Still urked that Shawn can't come *fist shakeage!* but on the bright side he won't see me look like a freaking gold tulip. Yeah, satin and gold just ISN'T my fabric or color to wear. I was explaining to my coworker today that I was a hardcore cotton-wearer--I don't like to wear silky or satiny things. Just feels weird. Kind of part of the reason why I LOVE getting my makeup and hair done, but I HATE dressing up in really fancy clothing. Can't I get married in cords and a sweater? Gosh! Maybe the dress will look better once I get the skirt done. I hope...
  • I stayed home from work and one of three classes yesterday. And wrote Shawn a song. And watched loads of Jeeves and Wooster. I think we've reached a bit of a cropper here Jeeves! And did loads of laundry (haha mind the pun).
  • I met Rachel's folks and brother! Man it made me miss Gabe. SOOO CUTE! And Rex gave me a hug at the end just like Gabe would--they're standing right in front of me and yet they still somehow manage to just do an awkward one handed side hug. I still don't know how they do it. Rachel is so much like her mom it was awesome! I love her mom--she gave me at least two proper mom hugs too which I truly appreciated. Been awhile since I've gotten a real proper tight hug. Also made me miss my mission. I was well-known for the great hugs I gave, if I say so myself :). And it turned out that her mom and my folks served in the same mission--she had me call up my folks right there and then and she talked to them both! How funny is that! Anyway, that's about it. It's a small world after all. Now try to get THAT song out of your head!

1 comment:

Flannery said...

Good grief, Kari!! Well, noone can say you've had an uneventful week. And tell Gabe that he must schedule a return trip through Utah!! Also, the song you wrote Shawn is amaaazing. My favorite line? "Oh wait, he already did"