Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Who Needs Sleep? Well, You're Never Gonna Get It!

Last night was the first time in a LONG WHILE that I didn't have to try to go to sleep with ear plugs. Thankfully only one of my roommates was home at the time, and she was quietly making out with her boyfriend on the couch. THANK YOU EILATAN! I was still only able to manage about seven hours of sleep, going to bed a little before midnight and getting up at 7:10 am. Well, my alarm is set for 6:40, but I snooze it every five minutes until my brain works enough to be able to do more than press a button. Anyway, the night before last my roommates and their friends kept me up until at least midnight, (AVEC ear plugs mind you, and a pillow folded tightly around my head) AND THEN they woke me up at three! And yeah, of course I couldn't get back to sleep until around 6:00 (remember what time I have to wake up every weekday?). This is like the third or fourth time within the past MONTH that they've woken me up. It's a nightly event that I can't get to sleep because of them. And the thing is, they're really NOT that loud most of the time. They talk in their normal voices (which I still maintain is inappropriate after 10:30, ESPECIALLY IF PEOPLE ARE OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO GET TO SLEEP), sing, laugh, play music, watch movies... The walls are paper thin. And as much as I care about them, no I don't give a flying fig about ANYTHING they have to say if it's past my bed time. I need about eight and a half hours of sleep a night to feel at all functional. And so I don't fall asleep in class. The night before THAT I took some medication to try to help me sleep, only to throw up the next morning, and have to stay home from work and school. Because I can afford THAT. I had to take anxiety medicine yesterday (lack of sleep does wonders for anxiety) which I hadn't had to take in at least a couple of weeks. So yeah. I KNOW I need to talk to them, even though I only have to live in that stupid apartment for 17 more days. SEVENTEEN MORE DAYS!!! But this is me. Queen of the non-confrontational passive-aggressives. I have talked to them before about keeping it down, but they seem to think it applies to THAT night and THAT night only. And I feel dumb telling them to shut the effer up every night, especially in front of their friends. It's not very friendly coming in, saying hi as I pass by them to dump my stuff, and then to come back out and tell them to be quiet, and then go to bed. But by the time I get home, I'm shattered, and the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of 18-20 year olds chat and giggle. Was that snotty? Probably. They're really sweet. And they are fun to talk to. I really like them all a lot. Just not from 10:00pm-8:00am. I hate wearing ear plugs.
I'll talk to them. Really. I will.

1 comment:

alecia said...

interesting, my problems started with lack of sleep from my snoring husband. i HATE sleeping with ear plugs, too.