Next time you're listening to that Ben Folds song, walk up stairs. I did this morning and it made me want to Carpe the Diem. Isn't it funny how certain songs are great but only when driving, walking, getting ready in the mornings, and/or cleaning? And I'm not talking about moods. Although let's talk about moods. Kari moods, if I may.
It's easy to tell how I'm feeling if you pay attention to the music I'm listening to at that particular time. While this is not completely foolproof, it's a good guide to go by.
Listen to Careful when you're cleaning. Listen to Oldies when getting ready in the mornings--Monkees, Beatles and Mamas and the Papas and John Denver are always safe bets. Or Belle and Sebastian. Listen to B & S or David Bowie when walking. It makes you actually like people instead of get incredibly frustrated at how they're walking right in a group right in front of you while walking at a snail-pace. Listen to Pink Floyd when driving.
When I'm feeling slightly or incredibly depressed, or a bit upset I listen to:
Cat Stevens
Badly Drawn Boy
Carole King
Etta James
Actually, because I'm feelin' it, I'm going to put the ultimate Kari depressive or just feeling pensive music list. Now some of these are actuallly kind of happy songs, but they still make me feel a bit sad for some reason. Don't ask me why.
Trouble--Cat Stevens
A Minor Incident and Silent Sigh by Badly Drawn Boy
Home Again by Carole King
Vienna--Billy Joel
Father and Farther by Jim Boyd
I Will Follow You Into the Dark--Death Cab for Cutie
Never Surrender--Corey Hart
Good Day--Dresden Dolls
Summer and Piano Stories by Joe Hisaishi
Never My Love -- The Association
You Were Meant for Me - Jewel
Ticket to Ride--The Beatles
I Need You (That Thing You Do)- The Wonders
Making Love Out of Nothing at All - Air Supply
Total Eclipse of the Heart--Bonnie Tyler
She Talks to Angels--Black Crowes
Please Don't Tell Her--Jason Mraz
Tonight (And the Rest of my life)--Nora Gordon
Ooh La La--The Faces
Boston--Augustana
Lightning Crashes--Live
It Looks Like You--Lick the Tins
Two Points for Honesty, Careful and Demon by Guster
All I Could do was Cry--Etta James (basically anything she does)
At the Dark End of the Streets--The Commitments
Fidelity--Regina Spektor
You and Me--Cranberries
Wish You Were Here--Pink Floyd
Heart of Mine--Peter Sallett
Angel Eyes--Jim Brickman
Buried--Shawn Wiggins
One Way Love--EG Daily
People Like Us by The Talking Heads
Out of My Head--Fastball
Here are my blissfully happy songs
All The Way Up to Heaven--Guster
I want you to want me--Cheap Trick
Let My Love Open the Door--Pete Townshend
Life on Mars--David Bowie
I've Just Seen a Face, Act Naturally and I Will by The Beatles
Annie Waits and Zac and Sara by Ben Folds
Wild Wild Life--Talking Heads
Wonderful World--Sam Cooke
Downtown and I know a Place--Petula Clark
Dream a Little Dream of Me and This is Dedicated (To the One I love)--The Mamas and the Papas
Baby I Love to See you Smile, Short People, Political Science--Randy Newman (among others)
Your Song--Love Psychedelico
Crazy Little Thing Called Love--Queen
Stacey's Mom--Fountains of Wayne (makes me laugh every time I hear it)
Brand New Key--Melanie
Heart of Mine--Peter Sallett (I know! It depends what mood I'm in to begin with)
You Turn Me On (I'm a Radio)--Joni Mitchell
Who Put the Bomp--Barry Mann
Funny Little Frog and If She Wants me by Belle and Sebastian
Picturesque--Bryce Kulak
What I like about You--The Romantics
Rock this Town and Stray Cat Strut by the Stray Cats
You might Think--The Cars
I Believe in a Thing Called Love--The Darkness
Concrete and Clay--Units 4+2
Everyday I write the Book--Elvis Costello
Burning Love--Elvis Presley
Every Little Thing she does is Magic--The Police
We're Going to Be Friends and Hotel Yorba by The White Stripes
Be Gentle with Me and My Tiger and Me--The Boy Least Likely To
Because--Dave Clark Five
Tribute--Tenacious D
These lists are by no means complete. Anyway I'm embarrassed that I've done this because I fully expect make-funnage from my boyfriend and close friends by some of the choices. And it seems rather Emo to do something like this doesn't it? Ew. Sigh.
I've been watching The Tenth Kingdom, borrowed from Janay. It's a miniseries. I remember when it played on TV. Wow I must be desperate for entertainment. It gets kind of tedious working on art though with nothing in the background. I'm surprised that Diane Weist agreed to do it. Pretty horrifying Janay. But as far as mindless cheesy entertainment goes, it gets the job done.
Shawn came home yesterday! Finally. The whole waiting thing was ridiculous. Janay and Rachel agree that Shawn could be the next Kurt Cobain. Would that possibly make me the next Courtney Love? Ew. No Shawn, NO. I totally support you in your music, but I'm telling you right now, I will not support your drug habits. And I don't expect you to support mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
So true about Etta James!! If you are having ANY KIND of negative feeling, her music soothes the soul. I listen to "I'd Rather Go Blind" when I'm feeling down and I know she just gets it!
Well if Shawn's going to be Kurt Kobain then I guess you'll have to move to Seattle . . .
Post a Comment