Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I'm freaking out man!!!!

So for the past several days, I've been becoming increasingly short of breath, and my chest has been feeling tight and painful. Finally, Shawn talked me into contacting the Health Center (which I did by E-mail. Of course.). They said I should make an appointment with the doctor. Bleh. I called finally, and they suggested I go right into urgent care, rather than wait for an appointment today. So I went in and started describing my symptoms, and right away the receptionist calls over a nurse, who starts firing different questions at me (does it hurt here? here? here? if you do this?). Most of the time the answer was no which seemed to relieve her. Anyway, I finally saw a doctor (thanks Janay for driving, and for you and Shawn being there!), who also asked loads of questions, checked my pulse among other things, did this breath force thing (is around 300 really low? he made me do it twice because it didn't seem too accurate to him), and decided to have me get chest x rays. After he said that my heart and lungs looked great (well that was the gist of it among all this medical jargon--yay), and had me step up and step down thing with a measuring thing on my finger, and said that was fine, too. Guess what his diagnosis was?




I have six months to live.



No, not really.



I probably have a mild and hopefully temporary form of anxiety. I know, right? I nearly puked in his face. So I'm on drowsy-causing (as a side effect) medication. I've taken two so far, but I've only felt fatigued, the breathing/heart difficulties are still there. Hopefully those'll scoot soon. Good times.

GOOD TIMES!!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Kari! I need more details! What meds are you on? I know exactly why the doctors/nurses freaked out. If a patient is suffering from SOB (shortness of breath) it is a cardinal rule to move quickly with care to maintain a patent (open) airway. Also, the little thing you had on your finger was a pulse oximeter - it measures the oxygen saturation of your blood to make sure you are getting enough oxygen to your tissues. Well, now that I've explained MUCH more than you wanted (what can you expect from a best friend who's a nurse?) I'm glad you're ok!

Jessie and Adam (and Neko!) said...

Geez Kari! Take a chill pill! hehe.. I bet you're not the first one to undergo physical repercussions from a wedding : )

Toots said...

I'm on clonazepam. what else do you wnat to know? I'm on like .5 mg of it, for about five days. I'm a little better today, but yeah, still feeling a little tight and shortness of breath, but not as dramatically. Blech. Does that help?