Thursday, November 06, 2008

Is it so wrong?

Is it so wrong that even though I would've voted for McCain, I'm kinda glad Obama won? On the world stage I think it will make other countries happier with America, and even though that shouldn't be the end all priority to such a decision, it is kind of a big deal. And I think it's healthy that the presidency exchanges parties every several years. While I don't agree with the vast majority of Democratic Liberal ideals, I don't think it's healthy to always stay on one side of things. Does that make sense? I think part of checks and balances inherent in the country's government system is the exchange of power and party every 4-8 years. While I don't agree with most of Obama's politics, I did feel a strange emotion when I learned that he had won--hope. I think he might be able to do some good in this country. I guess we'll see!

Is it wrong that even though I'm for Prop 8, I kind of wish it hadn't passed just because I was so disgusted with the reaction of some of my classmates? It's comments like, "Let's ship them off to an island, they'll die out after a generation anyway," that doesn't do our side or religion any favors, my friends. I had friends back at home who are homosexual. I recognize their sincere desire to be happy, and that they are genuinely good people. While I don't agree with their lifestyle, I can't force my views on them (or vice versa!) and measure them up to the same beliefs I hold as far as the morality of homosexuality goes. I believe the institution of marriage is strictly between a man and woman (and I don't think comparing the worse of marriages to the best of homosexual relationships is the way to go, either. I wouldn't want my worst moments to be solely used to represent who I am as a person. It's the intention and purpose of what marriage is, not always the reality that is at stake here). I think intolerance is a lot messier than people would like to believe. It's wrong to call someone intolerant just for having religious beliefs that don't gel with your own. It's also wrong to be hateful towards those who don't share your religious beliefs. That IS intolerant. Prop 8 prevailed by the people's vote. But that didn't come without a price. Let's hope we're willing to pay that price with understanding and love. Not by spewing hateful intolerant epithets. Sometimes it's when we win that our true natures are revealed.

And now for something completely different: Go to www.Failblog.org. It's freaking hilarious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good thoughts on Prop 8, i'm shocked by what you say your classmates are saying, seriously?!